|San Francisco State University, Department of Computer Science offers an exciting opportunity for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position beginning August 2021. We seek a colleague whose teaching and research interests include Database/HCI/Distributed Computing; other areas will also be considered. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, through diversity, to the excellence of the academic community. |
The Department of Computer Science is in a period of expansion and is currently home to 15 tenure/tenure-track faculty members with a strong record of excellence in research and teaching. The department maintains vibrant programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels and a supportive learning environment for a diverse student body. Interdisciplinary collaborations with other departments and the College of Education aim to broaden diversity, equity, and inclusion in computing. The department excels in research and has a significant record of success, with over $4 millions of external grants from various funding agencies, such as NSF and NIH. San Francisco and and its proximity to Silicon Valley provides unique opportunities to collaborate with industry and leading high-tech companies in the world. Additional information about the department is available at http://cs.sfsu.edu.
The mission of San Francisco State University is to create and maintain an environment for learning that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, freedom, human diversity, and the cultural mosaic of the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area; to promote excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment; and to provide broadly accessible higher education for residents of the region and state, as well as the nation and world. To fulfill its mission, the University is committed to the following goals:
– Attracting, retaining and graduating a highly diverse student body
– Providing disciplinary and interdisciplinary liberal arts and professional education that is academically rigorous and intellectually challenging
– Providing curricula that reflect all dimensions of human diversity, and that encourage critical thinking and a commitment to social justice
– Recruiting, retaining and supporting a diverse faculty whose teaching demonstrates an active engagement with their individual fields of study and whose creative and scholarly work is an extension of the classroom, laboratory or studio
– Employing a staff and administration reflecting the diversity of our student community and the values of the campus;
– Fostering a collegial and cooperative intellectual environment that includes recognition and appreciation of differing viewpoints and promotes academic freedom within the University community; and
– Serving the communities with which its students and faculty are engaged.
Responsibilities: The position requires graduate and undergraduate teaching in courses in the candidate’s area of expertise, as well as core CS courses, mentoring and advising graduate and undergraduate students, developing an active ongoing scholarship program in one’s area of specialty, and ongoing committee and service assignments. Detailed position description is available at https://bit.ly/2A0Fsk0
– Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in Computer Science or equivalent. Terminal degree must be completed by the first day of employment.
– Record of teaching contributions in the areas of the candidate’s specialty, as well as core CS courses
– Active record of research and publications related to specialty area, and evidence of external support or the potential for external funding of these activities
– Demonstrated ability to incorporate inclusion, diversity, and educational equity in teaching, and/or scholarship/creative works
– Experience teaching and working closely with students from historically under-represented communities
– Record of contributing to collegial, supportive and collaborative work environments
Rank and salary: Assistant Professor. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The California State University (CSU) provides generous health, retirement and other benefits. Application: Submit letter of intent/interest, a current CV, a statement on how your teaching and scholarship align with the commitment of the CS Department to foster an inclusive and diverse academic community; representative publications; teaching statement; research statement; names and contact information of three references at Academic Jobs Online (https://bit.ly/3jN920S). Letters of recommendation upon request at a later date. San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Application Materials Required: Apply
Submit the following items online at this website to complete your application:
– Cover letter
– Curriculum Vitae
– Research statement
– Teaching statement
– Publication list
– Diversity Statement
– Three Representative Publications
– Reference letters (to be submitted online by the reference writers at this site )
And anything else requested in the position description.
Department of Computer Science
Thornton Hall 906
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco CA 94132